Monday, September 15, 2008

Week 2

This week's assignments include three selections to read and discuss. I am able to access the first, as a link is provided on the assignment sheet. (I can follow links really well.)

Funderstanding: Twelve theories of how people learn were outlined. A definition of the theory and a discussion, or expanded explanation of the how the theory worked and sometimes some background information was provided. This was followed by a brief one or two sentence explanation of how the theory impacted such aspects of learning and teaching as curriculum, instruction, and assessment of what is learned. Most of the examples given were directed toward teaching children in a classroom or group setting.

As I read each theory and its explanation I had several thoughts: Can I remember what theories were in play when I was a student? What kind of learner am I? What are the implications of these theories for adult learners? Do adult learners respond better to one or another theory? How does each theory of learning play out in distance learning?

As a very young student, I remember one exercise that caused me great grief. In third grade we were required to complete arithmatic "speed tests." We were given a number of problems to solve in a difined time. When we completed the test within the time frame, we moved on to the next speed test at a higher level. I assume these "tests" were to measure how well we memorized common responses to number combinations. These tests made me very anxious, and even though I knew the answers, I often was tripped up by panic and wrote the numbers backwards. There was no recognition that understanding the concepts of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division did not necessarily correlate with the speed with which I could write the numbers.

Next I will figure out how to access the two readings on e-reserve. I wonder what e-reserve means? Do I have to go to the library? Can I access them using my OneCard? Are they on Blackboard (I've got to register for Blackboard. That is it's own challenge.)

Whee, I accessed the next two readings!

Theoretical Foundations...: This selection introduces Student-Centered Learning Environments. I write and deliver curricula to adults. I am called a "learning facilitator." I am a "mediator." I do have knowledge of subject matter, and I can use that knowledge to craft learning experiences. My responsibility is to develop the setting and questions that are conducive to knowledge sharing. Much of the work is done in small groups where shared experiences create a body of knowledge. It is up to my students to work with that material until they come to a point where they can carry it back to their work settings and craft it into their own. My adult learners and I create Student-Centered Learning Environments.

Media for Learning...: I am beginning to suffer from definition overload. "Constructivist," "cognitivist," "behavioral..." Should I be writing these down to memorize? This seems contrary to current student-centered constructivist learning practice.

Behaviorism and Instructional Design Systems (IDS) for adult learners seem contrary to my experience of adult learning. I do include learning objectives in my curricula, however. My contract with CNCS also requires that I provide an evaluation about the effectiveness of the learning experience toward accomplishing those objectives. My learners are also asked, however, how they plan to use the learning when they return to thier programs.

This past year, in an effort to reach more programs, I have been developing curricula to be presented as "webinars." Thus, I am paying close attention to the cognitive psychology principles presented in this reading and trying to avoid the traps presented in the criticism. One challenge of this tool is how to provide opportunities for cooperative learning and collaboration that are an important part of my on site consultations. I guess that's why I am taking this course.

End note: This stuff is fascinating!

1 Comments:

At September 17, 2008 at 9:14 AM , Blogger Prof. Lohnes said...

Hi Sharon, like several of your colleagues, it sounds like this week's readings provided the opportunity for some metacognitive reflection on your own learning style. Re: different terms, you started to investigate the assumptions behind different activities that you already do with your students, and put names to them (constructivist, cognitive, etc.). Did you find this as useful way to think through your teaching?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home